Data can make or break an e-commerce marketing campaign. Given its importance, you may be surprised to find that data is not always the driver behind e-commerce marketers’ decisions.
According to Sidecar’s 2021 E-Commerce Marketer Survey, only 38% of respondents make the majority of their marketing decisions based on data. The remainder rely on instinct and experience half of the time or more when making decisions.
Get Access to the Full 2021 E-Commerce Marketer Survey!
The right combination of instinct and data is crucial to success in 2021. We found that many marketers need to shore up the data end of that equation to achieve the right balance for their marketing initiatives. Throughout the 2021 E-Commerce Marketer Survey, respondents indicated the importance of data analytics for the future of their careers and their teams:
- Data analytics was one of the top skills marketers wanted to expand in order to advance their careers.
- 45% of respondents wished they had more time to devote to data analytics, a top response among all marketing tasks
- 33% of respondents indicated that data-driven decisions were a key factor driving success for their marketing teams, the second most-selected response.
Given the large runway for growth, there is a huge opportunity for e-commerce marketers who prioritize data analytics in 2021 and beyond. Data-driven e-commerce marketing teams will outpace their competitors and uncover new and innovative ways to satisfy shopper needs online.
The findings mentioned above are from Sidecar’s recent survey of 146 marketers who work exclusively in digital and e-commerce marketing at retail businesses. Respondents range from associate-level to C-level marketers and work at small, mid-sized, and enterprise retail businesses. They candidly share how their careers, teams, and processes have evolved in a 50-page report.
The mission behind the 2021 E-Commerce Marketer Survey is to understand how people are driving meaningful change within e-commerce marketing, and fill a much needed data gap in industry reporting. The report covers:
- Critical skills e-commerce marketers will need in 2021 and beyond
- The most important roles marketing teams are hiring for in the next 12 months
- Key tasks e-commerce marketers plan to automate
- Top goals marketing teams hope to achieve and the challenges they face in the year ahead
For more insight on the evolution of data-driven e-commerce marketing teams, download the full report!